If you have questions about teaching with technology or need assistance with Blackboard, Kaltura, VoiceThread, or Collaborate Ultra schedule a time to work one-on-one with a Learning Systems expert during Open Office Hours. Open hours are now available for all VCU faculty who need assistance with Learning Systems-supported software.
Workshops by Request
Our goal is to offer hands-on workshops, information sessions, consultations, Blackboard continuous course resources and other support options that we hope faculty find useful. These workshops are specifically for VCU instructors and can be offered during a variety of days and times. Workshops may be offered online or face-to-face on for all campuses.
Please let us know what you are interested in learning and we would be able to customize a workshop to meet your departmental needs. Send your workshop requests and any other questions via email to consultLS@vcu.edu
* Workshops can be requested for a group of faculty (minimum 3) and individual departments.
Students and Non-Consultation Requests
Please contact the IT Support Center:
The Learning Systems Academy was created to support VCU faculty with technology for teaching and learning. Modeled after the Khan Academy, the more personalized approach allows you to get the information you need when you need it.
The Learning Systems Academy has a library of videos on topics ranging from beginner Blackboard to using VoiceThread. The short clip format makes it easy for users to get quick help on things like “how to create a test in Blackboard” or "how to start a Collaborate Ultra session.” You can search for a specific topic or simply click on clip you are interested in learning more about; each video is about 4 to 5 minutes or less. These videos are created by subject-matter experts on the Learning Systems team, and are recorded on the VCU system, making it easier to relate it to your own courses or content.
Click each channel image below to access topic videos.
|Assessments and Rubrics Channel
|| Blackboard Basics Channel
|| VoiceThread Channel
|| Collaborate Ultra Channel
|| Grade Center Channel
| Kaltura Channel
The Learning Systems Academy is just in its infancy; more videos are being added on a weekly basis. If you don’t see a topic of interest, please contact us at ConsultLS@vcu.edu to let us know what you would like added.
The Teaching and Learning with Technology Blog (TLtech) is an informal site with tips, tricks, and up-to-date information on subjects happening in the world of education specifically geared toward Higher Ed and teaching with technology. This blog is maintained and monitored by Learning Systems staff at VCU.
The blog is intended to be a discussion on teaching and learning with technology so we invite you to follow us and join in on the dialog. We welcome your comments and would love to have suggestions on topics of interest.
Learning Systems Events
1. Updates are being made and new Faculty and Student Guides will be ordered soon.
2. Our Learning Support Specialist, Elaine Reeder, will be presenting at New Faculty Orientation on August 23, 2017 at 2pm in the ALC building.
(Left to Right: Joe Lichtenstein, Jana Avery, JaBari Scott, Elaine Reeder, and Jamillah Martin)
Who We Are
A team of six skilled individuals - Technical System Administrators and Experienced Learning Support Specialists.
- The perfect blend of skills to facilitate delivery and support of teaching and learning technologies
- Alignment of resources to support innovative uses of technology in education
- Organizationally positioned in Academic Technologies, an integral part of Technology Services
What We Do
- Aligning resources and skills, Learning Systems supports the innovative uses of technology in education by maintaining and supporting specific technologies identified by the University for teaching and learning.
- Maintain and ensure consistent functionality and data integrity for all LS systems.
- Provide technical expertise.
- Deliver specialized end-user support.
Click here for a list of system and tools we maintain.
How We Enhance It
Learning Systems collaborates with departments throughout the University to explore new technologies that provide faculty with the necessary tools and resources to create technology-enhanced courses that will engage their students. Learning Systems maintains and supports a variety of tools, applications and integrated components to enhance the primary systems we provide.
- Coordinate pilot programs, implementation and maintenance of add-on components and applications.
- Explore new technologies.
- Upgrade systems and their components to ensure compatible versions are in place.
- Collaborate with other VCU departments and schools, and other Universities.
- Implement and maintain integration with other campus systems.
Click here for a list of enhanced tools we maintain.
How We Support It
- Timely communication of information to faculty, staff and students
- Face-to-face, phone, or online faculty consultations.
- Develop and maintain documentation of online and printed resources for faculty, staff and students.
- Respond and resolve help requests from faculty, staff and students.
- Offer face-to-face and online workshops for faculty.
- Perform routine system maintenance and monitoring.
- Plan, communicate and implement system upgrades and fixes.
- Utilize all resources--maintain dynamic working relationships with vendors and their support technicians.
- Outreach - participate in campus events to promote our services and answer questions.
For more information about our services, click here.