Canvas for Students
Checklist Before Using Canvas
- Make sure you can access your VCU Email
- Managing your Course Notifications
- Sync Canvas with your Calendars (Optional)
- Download Canvas Mobile (Recommended) - Canvas Student App
- Apple App Store
- Google Play Store - search the Play Store for "Canvas Student App" by Instructure
This introductory training video provides a student-view Canvas course overview. Viewers will learn about Course Navigation and Canvas features used to deliver content and assess learning and performance.
Setting Up Your Canvas Account
- How Do I Manage My Canvas Notification Settings?
- How Do I Edit My Profile in My Canvas Account?
- How Do I Select Personal Pronouns in My Canvas Account?
Accessing Canvas at VCU
- Update your name - visit the Call Me By My Name page, which allows you to indicate a name/name of use, gender/gender identity and pronouns which will update across all VCU platforms.
- Access your email - Google Workspace allows students, faculty, staff and alumni to take advantage of Google’s email, productivity and collaboration tools while maintaining their “eID”@vcu.edu email address.
- Login issues could be a result of a problem with your VCU eID or Password. Your VCU eID is a username that authenticates you to many VCU web applications and electronic services.
- Still have questions? VCU IT Support Center can point you in the right direction.
Understanding the Gradebook
- How Do I View My Grades?
- How Do I View My Grades in a Concluded Course?
- How Do I Approximate My Grades Using the "What If" Feature?
Note: As a student, you can view your grades based on What-If scores so that you know how grades will be affected by upcoming or resubmitted assignments. You can test scores for an assignment that already includes a score, or an assignment that has yet to be graded.
TurnItIn: Plagiarism Detection Tool
Turnitin is a closed-source plagiarism detection service that promotes academic integrity, streamlines grading and feedback, deters plagiarism, and improves student outcomes.